For Microsoft Home windows 2000 and later operating systems, you could often use FAT32 or NTFS to format your partition, but NTFS is being recommended for file systems by Microsoft for its much more advanced features than FAT32, for instance assistance of file-by-file encryption and compression, support to create partitions a lot larger than 2TB and help to store large files of much more than 4GB in size.
FAT32 was introduced initially from Home windows 95 SP2, which is an extension of the FAT16 file system. FAT32 is supported by a wide range of operating systems such as DOS, Home windows, Linux, UNIX and Mac OS. It’s simple to upgrade to NTFS. Please note that once you convert a partition to NTFS, you cannot merely transform back again to FAT32.
You may require to reformat the drive or use a third party tool like NTFS to FAT32 Converter. Please read the article “Safely Convert NTFS to FAT32” at the Aomei Web website.
In the event you use a dual boot program with XP and Mac, you’ll find that Mac OS will read NTFS only but not write files to NTFS. If you might be a fan of the Sony PlayStation three (PS3), you’ve to format your partition to FAT32 to assistance the PS3 games. In a Windows system, you’ll be able to format a FAT32 partition up to 32 GB maximum, so the best way to format a partition a lot more than 32GB in size? For these factors, you need to be aware how to make that change from NTFS to FAT32.
Partition Assistant (a product from Aomei Technology) is a totally free partition manager computer software solution, and it supports both format of a NTFS partition over 32GB into FAT32, and allows you to directly create new FAT32 partitions with the maximum 2TB on your hard drive.
Steps for converting NTFS to FAT32 indirectly are as follows:
1) You need to back-up your all data to another existing partition firstly since the formatting operation will erase all data.
2) Run Partition Assistant; choose the NTFS partition you wish to format inside the Partition Assistant Main Interface and right-click on it then select the menu choice “Format.!!!.” to invoke the Format Partition Dialog.
3) Within the dialog, select the “FAT32” item from the drop down box in the File System section and click “OK” button to confirm.
4) To take effect the formatting operation, please click the “Apply” button in the toolbar of Partition Assistant Primary Window and then click “Proceed” to begin format partition.
5) After completing the operation, please restore the previous information to the FAT32 partition. So, the indirect way can aid you to safely convert NTFS again to FAT32 without any cost.
Besides format partition, Partition Assistant can also extend partition for windows, create/delete partition, resize partition and wipe entire partition data for “anti recovery,” too as transform FAT 32 file system to NTFS, etc.